Lizard Island, Australia’s northernmost island resort on the Great Barrier Reef, is a one hour scenic flight over the reef from Cairns. Recently refurbished, interiors reflect pared back luxury and sit as one with the beauty of the tropical beach backdrop. Its 40 suites and villas are understated and elegant with a feeling of contemporary beach chic and glorious views of Anchor Bay or Sunset Beach. The island boasts 24 pristine private beaches, perfect for picnicking and snorkelling in the turquoise waters where coral and marine life are abundant. World class diving is a major highlight with trips to the inner and outer reef accessing some of the world’s most famous dive sites such as the Cod Hole. Dining on Lizard Island is simple and relaxed, with menus inspired by the freshest local produce from the waters around the island and from the mainland. Private picnics and degustation beachside dining are signature experiences while the idyllically situated Salt Water Restaurant takes full advantage of the breathtaking 180-degree ocean views. A stay on Lizard Island includes gourmet meals, non-alcoholic beverages, selected Australian wines, beer, spirits, use of non motorised water sports and motorised dinghies.
Why we like it
- All rooms have a private decks
- A tiny gem adoring the translucent waters of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, the resort is a diving paradise
- A beach restaurant serves fine food and wine whilst Osprey’s Restaurant serves Australian, Asian and European cuisine
- Azure Spa offers treatments that bring ancient indigenous medicines and massage techniques together with aromatherapy, colour therapy, sound therapy and herbalism principles
- The resort has a freshwater swimming pool